Monday, June 16, 2008

My New Love Interest

So I was asked to write a blog about my new love interest. It's a little weird cause I don't know if he reads my blog or not (if so Hi Honey). Obviously I'm not gonna write anything here that is posted to the world that I wouldn't tell him, but still it is a little weird. I'll try to write some stuff for those of you who I don't talk to all the time.



So I guess first off his name is Mat. Yes that's not one of my normal spelling errors (Hillary I promise to proofread this) his name is spelled with only 1 T. He's from upstate NY and just moved down here a few months ago. We met online through a dating website and talked for a few weeks before we decided to meet.



He is an incredibly sweet and generous person. Actually when we first were dating I thought he was too nice. I know that sounds weird but after everything I have been through it's kinda hard to accept that someone who is nice without thinking there is a hidden agenda. Also there was a side of me that wanted to make sure he was strong enough to deal with me. If you know me I have a strong personality so I need someone who is gentle and affectionate but I also want someone who would stand up for me in a bar fight and stand up to me when I am wrong. Btw the chances of me being involved in a bar fight or being wrong are both very slim but just in case he should be ready ;-)

When we did the iMarriage series at Fusion a few months ago alot of things they talked about really hit home with me about things I needed to be careful about when I was in a relationship. Being a new Christian I just learned how to submit to Jesus and trust in him to take care of me. I'm still not perfect at it but I am working on it. So the idea of submitting to my husband as to the Lord is hard for me as well. I need someone who can be a leader for our family and I had to make sure that Mat could fill this role. Not just financially but emotionally and spiritually as well.



I actually "broke up" with him after our 3rd date. It's in quotes because I don't know if you call it breaking up when you are just dating and have only gone out 3 times. We were coming up on a crazy weekend where he was going to meet lots of my friends and I didn't really know if I was ready for that so I told him I just wanted to be friends. Luckily he didn't give up on me and he asked me to go to PF Changs the next week. That dinner was the first turning point. Sitting there I realized I did really like him and I didn't just want to be friends but I still had some hold backs that I needed to talk to him about. Those being the too nice stuff as well as needing to tell him about Jonathan and make sure he wasn't going to run.



So we had a few more dates including one where we were able to sit and talk about everything. Pretty much that night was the big turning point. Everything I had been nervous about saying came out and we talked and it was good. We planned ahead of time that this night was for talking so there was no awkward hey let me tell you stuff moment. Everything was amazing that night and our relationship got alot stronger.

Maybe I am weird but I have this thing that you date someone and then he has to ask you to be his g/f to symbolize making it a serious committed relationship. I was really hoping for that to happen that night. But instead of asking me to be his g/f he told me he loved me. I guess that was a sign he wanted a committed relationship ;-) Seriously though things have been great since then. That one talk broke down all the walls and now we talk about everything and life is good.

We're reading 5 love languages now and yes we've gotten through the chapter on being "in love" and how it will change later and we will have to work to maintain a relationship but I am ok with that. I know he loves Jesus and has been enjoying coming to Fusion. We have good talks about that stuff as well and it's really exciting to be with someone I can grow with. We are lucky to be surrounded by other strong Christian couples who we can look to for advice and support.

Ok so hopefully this gives everyone a quick overview of my love interest :-) I started to write more a couple times but thought it might be over sharing so if you want more details just call/write/im me. I love to talk about him :-)

No comments: