Thursday, February 5, 2009

So much to write so little time

Actually now I have lots of time :-( After coming back from NY over the weekend I had a weird feeling from the emails I was seeing from my CEO in my inbox. Sure enough I sho u monday and here people saying one of the big investors has pulled out.

Quick clarification my company is a small start-up company with only 30 employees. Over the last year things started moving very quickly and we were making huge progress steps. Of course progress costs money and we went from spending a couple million a year to almost $20 million. Needless to say we needed more money to keep going. Two large very well known companies stepped up to say they would invest. We don't do VC money b/c that is evil, only angel investors or other private investors like these companies. Because of things going on with the economy unfortunately both investors decided to wait on investing. Maybe in a few months if the market turns, but who knows. Now comes the dominoe affect. Smaller investors get nervous and things get dicey. Rememebr the saying "Last hired, First fired" well I wasn't the last hired of the company but I was for my staff postion. So myself and a few other people ere given 30 days notice.

Not a great severance package but based on the status of the company it's better than the 2 weeks my contract promised. I truely beleived in Akonni's product. I hope that they can turn this around and bounce back b/c it truely will revolutionize the medical diagnostics world.

I have finished updating my resume and I'm starting to email it out to friends and employers. It's kinda nice at work b/c everyone keeps coming by telling me contacts they have other places and giving my advice on my resume. I have lots of people willing to be references or write letters of recommendation. So now I trust in God and see his plan. I remember what it was like last time i job hunted. It was one of the 1st times in my adult life I remember really feeling God tell me what He wanted me to do. It was an amazing experience and I can't wait to feel it again.

Speaking of God and on a note of perspective I started cleaning out my cubicle yesterday and started feeling a little bummed. But then I looked across the office at one of our scientists Julia. She and her husband just moved here from Chicago a few months ago. Some of her family is still there, the rest is in Russia. Her husband Boris was an Akonnis employee as well and they were the cutest couple ever. His English was not very good so she usually had to translate for him. I am sure you noticed I used the past tense to describe him. Boris ws not laid off by Akonni, he passed away of a sudden and major heart attack last wed. I was not at work that day due to ice and then left for NY so this was the first time I had seen Julia since Boris passed. No matter how I feel about cleaning out my cubicle and leaving Akonni, at least I cleaned out my own cubicle. Julia has to clean out Boris's. Everything happens for a reason, even death. I am sure God had a bigger plan in what happened w/ the Chernov family but I know I found a mesage in it for me.

Please pray for them, for all my coworkers (times are going to be crazy and rough for awhile), and of course me and my family.

No comments: