Monday, September 8, 2008

The Next Food Network Star

On the weekends I generally like to cook breakfast one morning. Now I don;t like eggs so that means generally I make pancakes or waffles. I like french toast but I never remember to buy bread. Anyway this Saturday I told Reese I was going to make pancakes.

She loves to help in the kitchen so she promptly walked over to wear the aprons are and asked for hers. We pulled a chair up to the counter and I got out the Bisquick, milk, and eggs. I showed her the recipe and asked what number was in front of the Bisquick. She said "2" so I gave her the cup measure and told her to fill it up 2 times. I helped a little with leveling it out and then she dumped it into the bowl. Next we poured the milk into the cup measure and she carefully poured it in. Finally I gave her a separate bowl and let her crack the eggs. This is something she's been doing for awhile now. She loves to crack eggs, and actually does it very well. The first one was perfect. A little tap on the bowl and then she pulled it open with her hands. The second one was kinda more of a squishing with her hands, but still no shell fell in so I was proud. We added the eggs to the bowl and she grabbed the whisk to start mixing.

I'm not gonna lie I was a little fearful at this point. usually I mix at little so there isn't dry Bisquick that can fly everywhere still in the bowl. However this was her breakfast so I decided to let her go for it. She slowly stirred everything together and kept almost everything in the bowl. Prob only a tablespoon of batter kinda flung out onto the counter accidentally.

After mixing I pulled out the griddle and Reese was going to watch me cook the pancakes. I poured the first 2 on and then she asked please if she could pour the first. I decided to let her try. Let's just say it wasn't a circle, but it was all on the griddle :-) Next we watched for bubbles on the top so we could flip them. I helped Reese flip her pancake (almost missed the griddle) and she was so happy. I decided she was having so much fun that I would let her make special Reese pancakes that were small for her. These she poured all by herself and again I helped flip but not very much.

Then we stuck the rest of the batter in the fridge till Grammy and Dad-Dad came down so we could make their pancakes fresh. As soon as they came down Reese was back on her chair pouring and flipping the pancakes. They were so proud of her.

Reese was an excellent cook and was very cautious of putting her hands near the griddle. It was very cute and we had no major messes and even better, no injuries :-) With her personality and love of talking to people I think she could make on the Food Network someday :-)